Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Peter Pan Syndrome

It's been a while since I've posted anything new- I've been super busy. As I sat down to write this post I happened to click "Edit posts" I realized that I have started like 7 posts, but never finished them. Oops! The other thing I've noticed is that after I write something funny, I am always tempted to write "haha". I'm going to try and not write "haha" for the rest of this post.

This week is SPRING BREAK- yep, I'm really excited. I've gotten more sleep in the past few days than I get in a normal week. It's a little insane. But it feels SO nice! The thing I love about spring break is not being forced to do anything. For example, on most weekends my parents would make me get up from the couch and get some exercise or have friends over. But so far, they've been fine with me just being lazy- which I'm very content with. Today, other than working out (I'm determined to go to the gym every day this week, since I have time for it!), I went babysitting. Every Tuesday I babysit for a family at my church. Usually, I spend most of the time keeping the kids quiet (the mom teaches music lessons while I watch them) and making sure the oldest boy does all his homework. Since it's spring break, he didn't have any homework. It was such an easy day! We went outside and played on this jumper thing (well, I'm too big, but the kids did). It's kind of like a bounce house, except it's smaller and it's meant for sports. Sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Well this family has two boys (7 and 4) and a little girl (2). I watched as in just a few moments, the boys started to get a little rowdy. They were pushing each other all over and knocking each other down. The little girl, Rachel, kept getting knocked down and crying. I kept telling her "Now Rachel, if you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to stop crying. They're playing rough so you will get hurt. When you do, I don't want to see you crying, okay?" Just as those words were leaving my lips, I had a sudden flashback to when I was little. I can remember looking up to my big brothers SO much and just wanting to play with them. They'd always complain and my mom would say "Now Rachel, if you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to stop crying. They're playing rough so you will get hurt. When you do, I don't want to see you crying, okay?" I hated it when she said that! "But mom! I'm a big girl! I'll be fine! I just want to play with the boys!" And, just as she predicted, I would get hurt. And just as I had promised not to, I would start to cry. but the second my mom threatened to not let me play anymore, the tears would halt and I would be back on my feet. I definitely see myself in little Rachel. It's even funnier because the brother just older than her is named Matthew, just like me. I think it's strange when I'm talking to them sometimes- I can't help but see my family in theirs. I guess it's just weird for me to think that I'm not that little girl anymore. I know I write about not being ready to "grow up" in practically every post- I guess you could say that I've got Peter Pan syndrome- but it's all starting to dawn on me. In 8 months, I will be EIGHTEEN. A legal adult. It's crazy. and life is moving so fast. oh well, I guess that's why everyone always told me to enjoy life when i was a kid. I never believed them, but it's true- life really does move fast!

-One Day at a Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment